During my recent Thanksgiving trip back home, I had the opportunity to visit the southern part of heaven. Now the thought has crossed my mind, will UNC be National Champions every year in heaven? I'm sure I won't care when I'm there. I was able to drive down Franklin street and by the infamous Dean Dome and see all the construction progress around campus and UNC Hospitals. The years are passing quickly because it was 22 years ago that the 2 ton dump truck brought me & all of my belongings up Hwy 54 & delivered me to 111 Joyner, across from the then "new" Wilson library. The memories will always be held dear because it was there in that environment where various experiences shaped me into the woman I am today. My first job as a nurse was at the then North Carolina Memorial Hospital at the NC Jaycee Burn Center. I was able to catch up with old friend Anita Fields and Ernie Grant. The experience of working there, with the best team in the world, developed my view of nursing into the positive, affirming one that I still hold today. I knew I would make a difference as a nurse because I saw that I did every day. More about that at a later date....111 Joyner has an air conditioner in the window and the outside door has been replaced to a connector with another new building. The tennis courts behind the dorm are gone, replaced with a parking garage. The Pit, the Bell Tower, Kenan stadium, Woolen gym...they are all still there. There is an new & improved Carrington Nursing School...so beautiful with it's dark wood, still holding the rooms where I learned my profession. How lucky I was to have the opportunity to go to the University of North Carolina! Here's a picture of me at the Old Well...the symbol of the University. I'm so far away now, but the place will live on in my memories and heart. Because whereever you go, you can look up and see that God made the sky Carolina blue!
No comments:
Post a Comment