
Now getting down to the nitty gritty. I grew up on a farm but never had farming in my blood, so to speak. Don't get me wrong, I worked on a farm, but never did transcend over to loving the farm. I took for granted so much during those growing up years...like a big yard to play in (& mow), tractors & old trucks to drive, horses to ride, fresh cows & pigs to eat, hay to bale, crued tobacco to stomp, even moon pies to eat or peanuts in Mountain Dew. Yes, I'm getting a little sentimental here. I'm imagining the smells, sounds, tastes. Why was I imagining, planning, dreaming of leaving instead of savoring, enjoying, delighting in my good fortune? Now, Mr. Tarheel had a total different location to grow up in...a real city. Born in San Fran, & transplanted over in San Jose, he lived in one of the early, classic, suburbs. Neat, new houses, built side by side with one tree planted out front. He only dreamed of running in his yard, b/c after a couple of steps, he was on the sidewalk or street. He took the city bus or skateboard around to explore. He dreamed of woods, fields, rivers, open space. It's funny, I would have loved that. I craved stimulation and was easily bored. Now fast forward 30 years....here we are on a little "farm" of 10 acres, an old big red barn, and some cows of our own. You'd think that I'd have the ability to grow a garden, some veggies, from the land. Well, this year was a bit of a disappointment. First of all, when preparing the soil became overwhelming, I decided to plant one zucchini plant. I faithfully watered it during the annual 90 drought we call summer, and voila, nice zuchini grew. And grew, and grew. I kept telling myself to pick one & actually eat it, but the summer passed and I never ate one. Opportunity missed. So I decided to gather my zucchini, take a picture, so you could see some examples of large, unedible zucchini. I tell myself, don't worry, there's next year.....
No comments:
Post a Comment