Yesterday was the scheduled US and appointment with Dr. Tracy. Like last time, it was great to see Jack and they checked, he's still a boy! Interval growth was normal and estimated weight was 641 grams (1 lb, 6 oz)! He turns/moves alot and likes his hands by his face. He rests his right arm/hand on his forehead, like he's irritated at all the commotion. Mr. Tarheel went with me to the appt for the first time...I introduced him as my better half (isn't that the truth!). He recognized Dr. Tracy's skill/compassion and was impressed that she asked him for questions and answered them. He asked her to tell me not to research my condition on the internet anymore...she put her hand on my arm and said, "Stop!". He's really concerned about my persistent, moderately severe left foot/calf swelling (the right one is normal), so I'm going to get a doppler study next week to check the circulation. I don't think I have a blood clot b/c it's not red or painful and has been swollen since 11 weeks. Maybe I have a case of "bad vein valves"...that is so low on my list of concerns right now, but it's good he's watching out for me!
After just walking in to the office my BP was 150/82, meaning that's a little too much activity. My morning labetalol was doubled to 100mg twice a day and I was hoping for a normal BP. She reviewed all my BP readings and said the higher dose will help lower them. They range from 126-150's/70-84. Now I'll take my BP twice a day after rest and twice a day after activity...& call her if they reach 160/100. I asked about threshold for more aggressive (IV) treatment...she said at 160-180/110, you have to go into the hospital. Does anyone want to help me design my own home flowsheet for my BP?
Thinking back over the discussion, she presented a good combination of realism and optimism. She said we don't need to give you the betamethasone "yet"...Mr. Tarheel said, "What's that for?" and she said to accelerate the lung development. She went on to say that many times pre-eclampsia develops rapidly and you need it yesterday in these cases...meaning sometimes, you can't wait 48 hours to deliver after presentation. I asked her what chance she thought I had to develop pre-eclampisa...she said, "50%, but probably after 35 weeks"....I like this educated guess! She mentioned again that complete bedrest may be in my future.
So now the plan is to come back on 9/6, repeat PIH labs, do the glucola (checking for gestational diabetes) and check for some auto-immune issues that could be the needle in the haystack causing all this. So, I'm sitting around here on the farm, watching Mr. Tarheel do all the work except my job of growing Jack!
No comments:
Post a Comment