Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My First "Abby-Normal"--Gestational Hypertension

Here is Mr. Tarheel & my niece Grace...my sister April came for a visit with 11 month old Grace. What a wonderful visit! This was just after 5am at the airport...thus the tired faces!
I had a regular prenatal visit with Dr. Tracy and my BP was up a little...138/84, up from 110/60. She wanted me to keep taking it myself and let her know if it ever got to 140/90 and come back in 2 weeks instead of 4. So on Monday, I was at work and not feeling very good. It's a feeling of not being quite right, tired, slight headache. I took my BP myself and it was about 144/90, so I called the office. I drank about 40 oz of water in 3 hours b/c I felt a little dehydrated. When I went over to the appt with Dr. Pray, it was 166/90. It came down a little with more rest. She said your long shifts are over and you must rest until this resolves. I had PIH labs done stat and they were normal. I'm going back to see Dr. Tracy on Friday & do a 24 hour urine collection for protein (don't ask!). So since I didn't have hypertension before pregnancy, my diagnosis is gestational hypertension.
So with lots of rest--2 or 3 naps a day and sleeping 8-9 hours at night, my BP is between 130-150/74-84...so rest is helping. It's frustrating for a control gal like me to not have any control over my own body..but sometimes I am just lying on the couch and my pulse is bounding enough for me to count my heart rate in my head. Weird..huh. Of course, sometimes I can let myself go down the dark road of worry, but I would say that overall, I'm positive & upbeat b/c it's not getting worse right now. My risk of pre-eclampsia is higher now, up to 25%, but I keep telling myself that there's a 75% chance of it not occurring. Jack is moving more and sometimes there are lumps or body parts that I can feel on the outside--interesting! I talk to him and tell him to hold on, grow big & fast, and if needed, I'll hang upside down for him to stay in there as long as possible!
Side note...the 2007-2008 UNC Basketball roster is out....usually, there is a time when I am learning everyone's statistics, position, hometown, etc but alas, we only have 1 new player. He is Will Graves, a red-shirt freshman and now the heaviest player on our team...he must be built like a brick wall...6-6 and 245 lbs! They update this roster and it's even been known for a player to lose an inch of height (how is that?) but I'll bet by Jan/Feb, Mr. Graves will slim down a little after he does all the running that Roy demands! I'm still waiting (impatiently) for the schedule to be released...it should be anytime.

No comments: