Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Ups/Downs of Blood Pressure

After a few days on the Labetalol, I'm an expert on the drug. First of all, I can spell it correctly now and I know intimately the ebbs/flows of it's effects and side effects. The half life is 6-8 hours...I'm thinking the shorter time due to my increased volume of distribution (don't let your mind wonder...the increased blood volume of all pregnant women!). After about an hour of taking it, I feel wonderful for about 5-6 hours, except the side effect of drowsiness. This is an extreme drowsiness like working night shift and to stay awake, you have to force your eyes to stay open. Of course, I'm sitting around all the time, so I just take a nap. I fall asleep within seconds....no more insomnia! I take it about every 12 hours, so my feeling good time at night is while I'm sleeping. There is a relatively unknown side effect of beta blockers that I'm having...decreased anxiety! Wow, a side effect that I like, that is actually helping me! My BP is related to activity...when I'm active, it's too high...so I sit around most of the time. Reading, watching the Mariner's win, looking for the end of the internet, and of course, talking (on the phone) are my favorite activities this week.

Time keeps ticking, ticking, ticking..into the future.....

No comments: