She loved the Seattle Mariners and she transferred that love over to me. We were known to talk on the phone through half the game, sharing commentary and opinions about the players, managers, and opposite team. She loved it when they beat the Yankees, especially if there was a "fight" during the game. Now I feel an emptiness during the games because I can't call to ask her opinion about the manager getting thrown out or why we get to the edge of winning and then lose 3 games to the Angels.
She was my little piece of North Carolina in this place over 3000 miles away. When you grow up in a place, even separated by 30 years, there is a comfort in "knowing" it and the history of all of the extended family without explanation. For years, she would prepare "home cooking" like fried chicken and okra for me and she was excited when I found a vendor at Pike Market that sold fried chicken livers--her favorite. Her speciality for years was making dish cloths out of a certain type of blanket that she would find at second hand stores and giving them away. She loved helping those she loved and found joy in their smile. She was a giver, in the true sense of the word.
Now, she's physically gone but I'm a better person to have known and loved her and I am so lucky to have been loved by her. Rest in peace, Aunt Kat.....
No comments:
Post a Comment