Today was a scheduled appointment with Dr. Tracy. I hadn't seen her in 2 weeks and she smiled and said, "We've made it, you're 34 weeks!" Boy, do I know what she's talking about, comparing the worst case scenerio to now. During the NST, I had a strong contraction but luckily, didn't feel a thing. The nurses were surprised. I laughed by myself when I said that I hope I never feel a contraction. There was much hoopla about my fluid retention/swelling/extreme weight gain. I'm passed justifying that I had only eaten ice cream once in the last 2 weeks! My feet were the main attraction...they were noted to be about the puffiest feet that they had seen in a long time. For some reason, this notoriety did not make me feel better.
Dr. Tracy said that everyone who has to come in wearing their slippers, must have a stat PIH panel done. She wanted me (with increased concern) to wait for the results, so I slowly walked over and rested in the NNP call room. It was nice to see some co-workers that I have missed over these last 3 months...I reassured them that I wouldn't deliver today b/c I had my camcorder and my camera with me (thanks, April, for the wonderful advice!). Being prepared wards off evil spirits in neonatal land....
The labs weren't all completely normal anymore (yes, that means some were abnormal or not in the normal range....). The platelets are falling and the uric acid is rising but the creatinine and liver enzymes are still normal. So Dr. Tracy said things like..."I'm concerned there's a change and we need to watch you more closely...". So I go back in on Friday afternoon to repeat the labs and NST. Mr. Tarheel will be able to go with me for this visit. I think I will pack my bag and have it in the car (you know, those pesky evil spirits)....hopefully, I can keep on trucking for a couple more weeks....I have my eyes set on Dec 1st--37 weeks!
I did have a moment of panic...I may only have a short time left to be pregnant. As bad as I feel sometimes....I have come to enjoy my long-awaited pregnancy...well, at least the good parts of it. Mostly, I have loved knowing that I am nurturing Jack and I love feeling his movements. I know many pregnancies progress much more easily than mine has, but this has been mine, all mine to experience and savor.
Important news just in: Jack will listen (through skin, muscle, & yes, some body fat) to his first UNC basketball game vs. Davidson today at 4pm PST...the loudest part will be his mother (aka #1 fan) shouting her commentary & cheers! This is just the beginning of a fierce sports bond between mother and son!
No comments:
Post a Comment