Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Saturday, October 20, 2007

Getting Closer--31 weeks!

Yesterday was another appointment to have an ultrasound and see Dr. Tracy....during the US, Jack was wiggling all over the place and putting his arms/hands near his head/mouth. The tech captured a great profile picture this time and each time I look at it, I think...Wow, there he is! Now, I still don't believe those mothers who say they didn't know they were pregnant and go to the ER with "abdominal pain" and then give birth to an 8 lb baby. How would you not know something very different is happening to your body with the normal changes of pregnancy? I've used denial, but even denial has it's limitations.

Jack's estimated weight is 4 lbs-6oz (60%), so my BP problems have not affected his growth. Everything is being reported as "normal"...and this time, he was big enough to see his gall bladder and aortic arch. You know me....wanting to check out everything possible! Dr. Tracy was pleased with the report but as I expected, thought my BP is getting too high again. So she increased my labetalol (BP medication). We are trying to achieve a balance because when I'm resting, my BP is normal and more medication could cause the resting BP to go too low. She brought up induction of labor when there's no where else to go with this and my/Jack's health begins to be affected. That's when I began my long request of a primary C-section...it was funny, b/c she cut me off after about 2 sentences, with the response, "OK". She said that I was right, there are less neonatal risks when the dating is correct (like in our case with IVF) and I would have at least a 50% chance to need one anyway with all my risk factors. Of all the things that I have had absolutely no control over during this experience, it felt weird but great to have a sliver of control! This is a load off my mind until I start thinking of the pain of surgery, but he has to come out one way or the other and my first choice is c-section.

So I go in now for weekly non-stress tests and appointments and there's a new push to get ready for him...I've ordered the crib and dresser/changing table and it will arrive next week.

No comments: