Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Puffy Is as Puffy Does

I know it's wordless Wednesday, but I need words today. On Monday, I was feeling more (& very) puffy...when I weighed myself yesterday morning, I had gained 7 lbs since my appointment on Friday. Now, in my pre-pregnant life, the number would have taken my breath away, but I'm passed that...my mind started racing towards the question, "Is this the beginning of pre-eclampsia?" So, of course, I didn't call Dr. Tracy until my sister, RaRa from SC told me to!

Yes, they were concerned enough to have me come in for a visit. Especially after I mentioned that I was short of breath with very slow walking. Dr. Tracy wasn't there, so I saw Dr. Megan. I liked her plan...check stat PIH (pre-eclampsia) labs, do a non-stress test, and give steroids if either isn't normal. This was my first non-stress test. There are 2 probes attached to your stomach...one to check for uterine contractions and one for the baby's heart rate. To "pass" the test, Jack had to have an acceleration in his heart rate, at least 15 beats above the baseline, lasting for at least 15 seconds. He was moving constantly (after I drank apple juice) and the nurse kept having to chase him with the probe. He cooperated better when I was on my left side. He passed and I had no contractions!

The labs turned out to be normal...yes, still in the normal range, not approaching the edge of the range, and not getting worse. My BP went from 160/90 (after walking in) to 110/60 (after lying down for 30 minutes). Dr. Megan's Plan: stay pregnant and rest more!

But, I say, I'm SO PUFFY! She says, yes, yes, it will probably get worse. I ask, when will I pop? She empathetically laughs. I appreciate the humor, but I don't laugh because I'm serious. One gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs...so my body is retaining lots of water. Hopefully, my heart and kidneys can keep pushing for another 5 weeks...Luckily, I bought a pair of 9 1/2 house shoes to wear b/c all my other shoes are 7 1/2!

No comments: