Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Teenager Vs. Advanced Maternal Aged Red Angus

Starting today, I'm going to try a new thing...wordless Wednesday. I know, I know, this isn't wordless...but I felt compelled to at least tell you why I'll just be posting a picture and you'll only have the title as text--starting next week. This should be fun & help my creativity:)
Some of you know that I'm a Red Angus owner & certified cow watcher (yes, I'm in charge of nutrition & reproduction...Mr. Tarheel does all the dirty work!). The younger cow in the top is Scout, born in March 6th, weighing 88 lbs and on 9/1, she weighed 639 lbs. So she's officially a teenager and can be bred next summer/fall. The bigger Red Angus above is #38. I know, I should have thought of a name for her....but didn't/haven't. So her tag number is 38. She's 10 years old...already delivered about 7 or 8 calves and is officially advanced maternal age! She has an intermittently limp with arthritis and we are treating her gently to help her gain some weight (see the ribs). She is about 100 days pregnant (270 days is the gestation). She is SO laid back...you can walk behind her & she won't kick! Take Mr. Tarheel's advice and never stand behind a cow! I'll take her example & try to develop a laid back attitude since I'm in the advanced maternal age category also!

No comments: