Although fall is in the air, I'm going to try to squeeze as much warm, summer fun in as possible. As possible, that is, for someone working 50 hours a week (another story line)....so here goes....
I like to celebrate my birthday for a month! That's right...all month, during my birthday month--September, I like to choose which restaurants to go to, which movies to watch, etc, etc...so that it is not just a one day celebration...but all month long. My actual birthday is September 7, at 8:39 pm (year to be disclosed at a later time)....but it's so FUN to celebrate it for more than one day.
So a few weeks ago, I started daydreaming about all the different ways that I wanted to celebrate. Of course, I thought about receiving a new purse, horseback riding lessons, an Eagles concert, a pampering spa day, a bouquet of dahlias, a pair of riding boots, a back & foot rub, and a special dinner out (so here are your ideas, dear hubby)....but my next thought was....Giving.
At heart, I do think that I am below average in selfishness, but really! There are so many opportunities in each of my days to give to others and many times, I decide not to act. Inherently, it goes on that perpetually lengthening "I'll get to it one day" list... So I decided to GIVE during my birthday month...at least 30 "gifts" this month! Now, a rich uncle didn't die, but I've been greatly blessed by having an awesome job that pays well. So some of the gifts will be financial, but I'm thinking so much bigger than this...giving gifts in other tangiable and random acts of kindnesses.
Of course, I won't be able to blog every day...but I'll keep a record of each gift and give enough information for you to understand how it came to pass. I'm ready to see how this opens my eyes for opportunities to recognize the needs of others and how, I know, it will change me too.
Gift 1
It's a Sunday morning and I've just finished my 75 hour work week. I'm driving home and actually, feel pretty rested, considering. See, I actually didn't work 75 hours, but because most of my shifts are 24 hours, I "get paid" to sleep a few of my work hours. My drive is the scenic route, which for me, means, no freeway driving. I make it a point to notice the forest as I drive by. I anticipate seeing an animal--hopefully a deer and not an immobile skunk! No animals were out, however. That's OK, anticipation is my gift to myself today. There's excitement in the air when I arrive home. We are going out for family day. Free time, yippee! The boys, Chris & Jack, first ask to go to Cabela's. My first reaction is NO, NO, NO. It is a store filled with testosterone supporting, expensive toys. I initially give my first reaction---NO, NO, NO. Then I reconsider---my gift today will be CHOICE. So I exhale, & decide to say---whatever you guys would like to do. After some family discussion, the plans change to our special Chinese restaurant, a visit to the part, & a favorite cup of Peet's coffee.
No comments:
Post a Comment