Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Listening Skills of Tucker

Tucker, the big red dog, is a great listener. As I am constantly talking, he looks at me with his wrinkled brow and his eyes seem to understand what I'm saying. He can interpret Southern!

Let's go back to the beginning...when my precious, first-loved dog Scout died, I sub-consciously had no intentions of letting another dog get inside the deepest part of my heart ever again. Scout was my four-legged son and that's all there was to it. Even though almost 3 years have passed, it's a wound that is still there, rarely sharp, but a consistent dull ache. When Tucker walked into my life, I resisted a deep bond with him. Mr. Tarheel must have quietly sensed this, because he took care of Tucker most of the time.

Over the past year, my guard has slowly been let down as Tucker has not given up on helping me to unconditionally love him. He seeks me out for a pet and follows me around the house constantly. He will even interrupt his sprint for the neighbor's cat, if I tell him no. He makes me laugh with his whimsical faces. Yes, if he wants to go outside when I'm sleeping, I don't resist anymore or get irritated. I know he wouldn't make me go to the bathroom in the rain if our roles were reversed.

He has been truly excited about spending all this time with me. He will position himself beside the desk, so when I'm on the computer, I can rub him with my feet. He never complains about my naps and takes those opportunities to stretch out & rest his head on Mr. Tarheel's pillow. I've been telling him that our lives will be changing soon and he will be a big brother...& he appears to be listening!

No comments: