Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Monday, February 18, 2008

Jack & Daddy


At the 2 month appointment to see Dr. Brian, we received the usual handout of developmental milestones for the 2-3 month old infant. One of them described the baby prefers the mother's face/voice. Mr. Tarheel (aka Daddy) and I looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thing. You know you've been married aWHILE when you can look at your spouse and not only are you thinking the exact same thing, but you know by just looking into each other's eyes that you are thinking the exact same thing. Okay, so that explains the communication part.
NOW, what were you thinking, you ask?
Drum roll............Jack doesn't prefer one of us over the other...really, at least not at this point. Daddy Tarheel has been taking care of him almost as much as I have and there is an ebb and flow to this that is benefiting everyone. I'm not disappointed, even secretly. Wow, what a wonderful generation to be in...our Dads weren't able to take care of us about half of the time. Both of us had stay at home Moms and both our Dads were busy working/going to school/war and culturally were not encouraged to have that caregiving role. Now, we turned out good but I think it's better for the father to be able to be there in the thick and thin of taking care of the baby.
There is one thing that Jack prefers from me...my LOUD voice. All of you who know me, know that I am "genetically loud"...I say that because I have tried over & over, so many times to talk softly. I've even been asked why am I always so LOUD? I get so excited to talk or maybe it's what I'm going to say has to get out of my mouth quickly...that it comes out LOUD. Jack does prefer this....except of course, when he's sleeping.
Then, he prefers his quiet Daddy.

No comments: