Here contains glimpses of my life (especially Jack, the 8 year old) and obsession with UNC Tarheel basketball!



Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tall Fauxhawk


It's a little hard to see, but Jack has a Mommy-styled "faux" hawk...a play on the word Mohawk, but it's fake (faux) b/c he still has hair on the sides of his head. He's happy here, with his tongue sticking out. He's happy most of the time, unless he's hungry, tired, or bored.

It's happened...you know one of those firsts....he was afraid of someone who he knows...& cried. It's happened 3 times within the last week....like the beginning of stranger anxiety. When the person in question, smiles, talks to him, or I hand him over to be held...he looks at me with sad eyes and the mouth opens first and then the crying/screaming begins. The word that comes to mind.....is


DEPENDENCY


I could do an entire posting on this concept...both the wonderful and not so wonderful repercussions of having another person needing you for everything....but suffice it to say, most of the time, I'm OK with it. I dreamed of Jack and nurturing him but never thought through what dependency really meant. From someone who has sought out independence and highly values the concept...it's a 180 degree turnaround. The catalyst is love...meeting their needs is just something you do when you love someone as much as you love your child....

No comments: